Sensible drinking

Drinking moderate amounts of alcohol does you no harm but you are advised to stay within healthy limits.

heart_and_stethoscopeAlcohol is measured in units as follows:

  • 1 unit is 10 grams of alcohol, which is equivalent to
  • ½ pint of beer, lager or strong cider (a 440ml can of cider = 2.3 units)
  • A small glass of wine (a 75cl bottle = between 7 and 9 units)
  • A small glass of sherry (a 75cl bottle = 13 units)
  • A single pub measure of spirits (a 75cl bottle of whiskey = 28 units)
  • Government guidelines for sensible limits are:
  • Men – up to 21 units per week
  • Women – up to 14 units per week


Smoking is bad for your health. Smoking related illnesses are cancer, heart disease, stroke, chronic bronchitis, ulcers.

If you would like advice on how to kick the habit please see the doctor or the nurse for advice or you can contact the local ‘Stop Smoking’ clinic.

Reducing your fat, sugar and salt intake

Saturated fats such as butter, lard and ghee contain more dangerous fats than monounsaturated or polyunsaturated fats. Cholesterol levels can become raised when using such fats in your diet. Try cooking with olive oil and trim excess fat from meat.

Eat more fruit and vegetables as they provide more fibre and are reduced in calories. Reduce your red meat intake and choose chicken or fish. Use semi skimmed or skimmed milk. Avoid excess sugars, salt and fat which are all hidden in foods such as pastries, pies, cakes, burgers and sausages.


As we get older our eyesight gradually deteriorates. Having regular eye tests can not only allow the optician to give you good vision and comfort but to detect early changes and other general health conditions

It is recommended by the government that all children from pre-school age have annual eye examinations to ensure correct visual development.

  You do not have to pay for eye tests if you fall into the following category:

  • Under 16 or under 19 if in full time education
  • A patient with diabetes or glaucoma
  • Brother/sister/child/parent of a person with glaucoma and you are over 40
  • Receiving or a partner of someone receiving Income Support or Family Credit
  • Low income groups may claim help on AG1 form
  • Registered partially sighted or blind
  • Complex (high power) lenses
  • Please ask your doctor or Optician for advice if you notice any vision changes.

If you are housebound please call Eyegen on 0207 625 8925 to make an appointment for them to visit you at home. You will receive the same service as you would if you went to the opticians. The home visit is free, but if you pay for your glasses they will tell you the cost at the time of the visit.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website